← Previous Photo
Ice Cutting on the Divide
Next Photo →
Stateline

Carson Street

Date of photo: Early 1900s
Photographer: Unknown

Permanent Link: http://wnhpc.com/details/photo0095
Shortlink: http://wnhpc.com/d/778
Tags: carsoncity carsonstreet greatbasinhotel nationalhumanealliancefountain

Description

A look at the west side of Carson Street, where it intersects with King. This is right across from the State Capitol. At the right is the Great Basin Hotel, one of Abraham Curry's original stone buildings. A few other storefronts line the street along the heart of downtown. Both of these blocks were demolished around 1920 to make way for the twin Heroes Memorial Building and Ormsby County Courthouse.

Just right of center you can see the National Humane Alliance Fountain on the street corner. The fountain was installed in 1909 to provide water to passers-by and the animals of town. When the buildings were demolished the fountain was saved, and it still remains in nearly the same spot today. When King Street was closed in 1936, the fountain was moved to what was the center of the street.

Actions

⇓ Download This Photo

To download this photo, choose a size below, then right-click and select "Save As".

200x121 | 250x152 | 500x304 | 800x486 | 1024x623

⇓ Embed This Photo

To embed this photo in a blog or web page, choose a size below, then copy and paste the HTML or wiki code from the box.

200x121 | 250x152 | 500x304 | 800x486

HTML code

Wiki markup

Other Data

Date Uploaded: April 28, 2009

Source: Nevada Appeal, April 28, 2009


Post A Comment