← Previous Photo
Niagara
Next Photo →
Cave Rock Tunnel

Marian B

Photographer: Lillian Vernon Farr

Contributor: Carol Van Etten on Facebook
Permanent Link: http://wnhpc.com/details/fb458713604290238
Shortlink: http://wnhpc.com/d/2411
Tags: laketahoe, marianb,

Available Sizes: 800x646 | 1024x827 | 1452x1173

Description

The Marian B was the mail boat on Lake Tahoe from 1934 to 1941. This was the last period that mail around the lake was delivered by boat. After 1941 it was delivered by automobile.

Actions

⇓ Download This Photo

To download this photo, choose a size below, then right-click and select "Save As".

200x161 | 250x201 | 500x403 | 800x646 | 1024x827 | 1452x1173

⇓ Embed This Photo

To embed this photo in a blog or web page, choose a size below, then copy and paste the HTML or wiki code from the box.

200x161 | 250x201 | 500x403 | 800x646

HTML code

Wiki markup

Other Data

Date Uploaded: January 5, 2017

Source: Facebook: Carol Van Etten

Source URL: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458713604290238&set=p.458713604290238&type=3

Source Caption: In 1932, 1933 & 1934 the TAHOE and NEVADA shared the work of carrying the mail and provided passenger service. In 1934, the LTR&TCo lost the mail contract to Captain D.M. Brodehl, who used his gas-powered cruiser MARIAN B (shown below in a photo taken by Lillian Vernon Farr) to deliver the mail year-round. By the time the MARIAN B exploded and sank in May 1941, local roads had improved to the extent that mail service by boat was discontinued and Captain Brodehl delivered the mail by car for the balance of his contract. So to get back to Gary's question, the TAHOE and NEVADA seldom called at Whittell's wharf.


Post A Comment