|← Previous Photo||Next Photo →|
This is the Ormsby County Courthouse, right across from the Capitol at corner of Carson and Musser streets. This building was constructed by town founder Abe Curry as the Great Basin Hotel, and at first he rented out space to the county to use for courtrooms. Eventually the county just bought it from him outright.
In this photo the Magnolia Saloon is located at the south corner of the building, on the left, and Jos. Platt's establishment is on the north corner. "County Buildings" is etched over the main entrance.
Everything on this block was demolished in 1922 in favor of a Neoclassic courthouse designed by Frederick DeLongchamps.
Date Uploaded: June 29, 2008
Source: Nevada Appeal, June 29, 2008
Source Caption: Charles Lynch/ Special Collections at University of Nevada, Reno The Carson City courthouse with the Magnolia Saloon at one end and Platt's business at the other.