|← Previous Photo||Next Photo →|
Date of photo: June 4, 1938
Photographer: Ted Wurm
This photo was taken by Ted Wurm from the tender of Virginia and Truckee Locomotive #11 as it approaches the yard at Mound House. This run on June 4, 1938 was the last ever freight run of the V&T to Gold Hill.
Date Uploaded: October 24, 2017
Source: Rick Donaldson on Flickr
Source Caption: Virginia and Truckee No. 11 "Reno" pulling freight northbound into the Mound House rail yards. Photo taken June 4, 1938, from the cab of the "Reno" on the very last day of freight operations on the soon to be abandoned line from Carson to Virginia City. The freight depot is still standing at this time, but the passenger depot was already gone, having been sold by the V&T on May 25, 1938, with the provision it be moved off site within 30 days (NSRM personal communication 2014). The structure was moved to a location on N. Carson Street in Carson City (same block as the present City Center Hotel) where it was used as a warehouse (Wurm 1983). Scanned from original annotated photograph. The photographer, Ted Wurm, noted that this particular image, taken from the tender of No. 11, was slightly out of focus because the engine was shaking so much and his camera shutter speed wasn't fast enough to compensate. T.G. Wurm photo, from R.C. Datin Collection, acquired by Rick Donaldson.